UKIP Uncovered
What motivates the leaders of the United Kingdom Independence Party?


Monday, April 14, 2003 

On 23rd March 2003 an article appeared in Darlington's 'The Northern Echo' the historically renowned North Country daily newspaper once edited by the famous Father of Modern Journalism W.T. Stead.

The headline read Right-Wingers target town in coming local elections by Liz Lamb.

BNP and UKIP Linked

It included the following passage:-

Last night Trevor Agnew, a former UK Independence Party candidate in the town, said he was considering standing for the British National Party.

The Northern Echo understands that if Mr Agnew of Davison Road, Darlington, plans to stand, he will campaign for the North Road ward.

He said: I am toying with the idea but nothing has been decided yet.

I certainly will be supporting the Tyne and Wear drive for both the BNP and the UK Independence Party."


How can a resident of Darlington impact a political drive in Tyne and Wear, well outside any local constituency boundary, unless by casting a vote in a postal ballot for an MEP for the North East Region?

The mystery deepened however as a few days later Mr Agnew felt obliged to write to the paper following another report which included the following statement:-

Mr Agnew has previously stood for the UK Independence Party. A spokesman for the party said last night that Mr Agnew had been expelled from the group because of his links with the BNP.

Agnew expelled from UKIP

On the following day Mr Agnew's name was again to appear in the pages of 'The Northern Echo' in an article by Stuart Mackintosh entitled Asian to support BNP bid for power

Of much greater interest to those concerned with any possible connection between BNP and UKIP was Mr Agnew's letter to the same paper written on the 2nd April under the subject heading "BNP"
In a previous day's article under the headline "BNP fights record number of seats", it was reported that I was expelled from the UK Independence Party.

I was not a member. I received a membership card out of the blue and I certainly did not pay for it. UKIP approached me asking if I would stand for them in the coming elections. I said that I would consider it, but I would want to incorporate the asylum seeker racket in my campaign.

UKIP would not allow this so I refused to stand. UKIP's decision to expel me (if it is possible to expel a non-member) was, in my opinion, sour grapes. - Trevor Agnew, Darlington.


(The link to the letter page changes periodically, and the original link posted here was removed at 14:30 17th April 2003).

It was not until Monday 7th April that the next article appeared in 'The Northern Echo' once again written by Liz Lamb (Exclusive) this time under the headline .

Political Party is rocked by probe

posted by Martin |1:55 PM
Google
www Ukip Uncovered
This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.
Copyright © 2006 Martin Cole.
archives
contact us
my other blogs
nigel farage
landmark links
fired treasurer
glw incitement
booker/jamieson
glw & farage
a complaint
a neutered nec
graham booth
derek clark
mark croucher
michael harvey
roger knapman
mike nattrass
links
blogs
press
broadcasters
google
buy my book
technorati
Copyright © 2003/6 Martin Cole.